Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Up on a Mountain

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn"
 --John Muir


I am lucky enough to have my wonderful boyfriend Joe live just about two hours away from me. Some would say that's still far, but it's much better than being states away! One of the best parts is that we each live somewhere distinctly different. I live in the city, thirty minutes from the beach and Joe lives in the mountains where seasons visit.

Together, we are lucky enough to experience all of it throughout the month when we visit.
This past weekend, I visited Joe at Lake Arrowhead as I often do, but this weekend was simply spectacular.
Friday night consisted of cooking a veggie medley for dinner, filled with mushrooms, squash, zucchini, asparagus and rice (delicious!) topped off with a nice glass of wine, and promptly followed by falling asleep early at 9:30. Quite the Friday night, right? ;)

One of the many things I love about Joe is that he gets out of bed before me, and always has breakfast ready to go! He is thoughtful and kind, and again, I am lucky! Saturday began with toast, mango and Pitch Perfect. After getting up and around we went for a brief walk at the Pinecrest camp, and then took a beautiful walk around Lake Gregory. 
 

A beautiful walk filled with conversation, laughter and sincere thought. It was a lovely afternoon, followed by a fun night with pizza, Planet Earth, and cosmic bowling!

Just when I thought my weekend getaway in the mountains couldn't get any better, it absolutely did.

Sunday morning breakfast topped off with mimosas was fantastic, but nothing will beat our afternoon outing. Joe and I went hiking at The Pinnacles, a beautiful and challenging hike further up into the mountains.

We hiked about 5 miles out and 5 back, hiking about 1,500 feet of elevation gained, finishing at about 7,500ft above sea level. It was tiring but beautiful and rewarding. It felt exhilarating to climb the rocks and get as high as we could--which we did! We climbed and wiggled our way to the highest peak and what we found was stunning.


Continuing a tradition passed along from my mother, and one that many practice, one of the first things Joe and I did was build our altar. 


"Altars symbolize a desire to manifest spiritual connection in our every day life, to bring the sacred into every thought, feeling and action"

We spent a good hour or so at the peak of this mountain, exploring, talking, laughing, kissing, smiling, and standing in awe.


"Most of the time, all you have is the moment, and the imperfect love of the people around you"
--Anne Lamott

When we had our fill, we began our descent. The way back is always easier. So we climbed, scooted, and jogged our way back down the mountain, laughing, panting, and chatting all the way. It was cold and windy, but we didn't mind, we had smiles plastered on our faces. 
This day we saw a new side of each other, childlike joy and playfulness. The beauty of every day discoveries in the one you love.

This day will stand out in my mind forever, because up on a mountain, I looked over at Joe and I knew
We both have so much going on in each of our programs, which is amazing. I'm thankful that we've each committed to year long work and programs that resonate with us and our values. There's still many months to go until our programs come to an end, but I cannot deny the peace within me that has come with the knowledge that wherever the next adventure takes us, we'll be going on it together...

God,
I am in awe of the beauty that surrounds me, 
the creation that you have made.
You set all things in motion,
and yet you still have time for me.
Thank you.

Thank you for the challenges you send my way.
Thank you for the joy that fills my heart.
Thank you for your patience and love.
Thank you for the beauty in my life,
thank you for the things that aren't as pretty,
the things that humble me.
Thank you for all the important relationships I have in my life.
Thank you specifically for Joe, and the happiness that we share.

Spirit, Help me to be open to learning.
Help me be patient and thoughtful.
Please grant Joe and I strength and courage
to love each other and love you. 
Help us be open to experiencing you.
Help us to discover the ways we can support and love each other.
Help guide us, 
help us live in a way that reflects our values, 
help us live in a way that is authentic and meaningful.
Thank you for your love, thank you for our love.
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment